These muffins are probably the healthiest, nutrient dense muffins you can possibly make. Amazingly, they still taste INCREDIBLE- so you aren't sacrificing flavor or taste at all while making them healthy. They not only include over a cup of fresh spinach but the Philosophie Green Dream superfood mix which includes chia seeds, spirulina, hemp protein, maca, vanilla, vit E from tocos + mesquite. You can rest easy knowing your family is getting amazing nutrients while enjoying these puppies! :)
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/2 C tapioca flour
- 1/2 C oat flour
- 1 1/2 C almond flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t pink sea salt (or any salt)
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 T Green Dream superfood blend
- 1/4 C vanilla coconut milk-based yogurt (or use plain + add 1 tsp vanilla and a little extra sugar – maybe a T or 2) *If not vegan, substitute 1 egg for the yogurt
- 1/3 C sugar (I used honey but that isn't vegan- up to you!)
- 1 single serving applesauce (or 1/2 C)
- 1 C PACKED, triple washed baby spinach, chopped by blender or food processor into small bits
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1/2 – 1 t lemon zest (depending on how lemon-y you want it)
- have about 1/4 C almond mylk (or any dairy-free mylk) ready just in case your batter is thick/dry. Add spoonful's of the mylk until it's a smooth, easy to mix consistency.
Optional ingredient: 1/4 cup chopped walnuts/pecans, plus extra for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
- Add dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Whisk to beat yogurt and sugar together till light (I did this by hand for just a couple minutes).
- Process or blend the spinach until fine.
- Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients (I added all the wet ingredients into the blender so they were all blended well).
- Pour dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture, add 1/4 cup walnuts/pecans if desired, and stir gently just to combine – do not over-mix.
- Pour muffin batter into muffin tin cups – about 3/4 full each. If using nuts, sprinkle them on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes until centers set or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool at least 10-15 minutes before serving.