Kai is almost 6. By almost, I mean TODAY my little cherub turns SIX! What the even...? I'm not going to deny the intense range of emotions I'm experiencing right now. My first born, one of the kindest souls I've ever encountered, turning SIX. We will shower him with love as we celebrate his sixth year around the sun, but the tears will continue I am sure. The only thing to stop my tears is the thought of Kai’s EPIC birthday cake. Brace yourselves…
Kai can eat an entire carton of strawberries if you let him, so naturally strawberry was the obvious choice for his birthday cake. You may not think that kids would enjoy healthier versions of desserts, but this one is super sweet from the Berry Bee honey and the dates, and really rich from the cashews. The richness mimics a cheesecake, sans the cheese! The filling also tastes like deliciously creamy yogurt, without any of the inflammatory dairy.
You can also swap out the strawberries with any fruit of your choosing such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or even peaches. Adding a scoop of vegan coconut milk ice cream would make this treat NEXT level!! Be right back, my mouth is just watering!! It tastes like a raw vegan strawberry shortcake, and we can't get enough!
For the Filling:
For the Crust:
- 2 C walnuts
- 1 C pitted dates
- 2 T shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp Berry Bliss
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 t sea salt
- Soak the cashews overnight (or for a minimum of two hours). Simply put them in a glass or bowl covered with water, and drain them before using.
- Start with the crust. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is fully incorporated. If it’s really difficult to blend, and small amounts of warm water (up to a tablespoon).
- Add the mixture to the bottom of a small springform baking pan
- You have to freeze each layer before assembly. Place the pan into the freezer while you work on the filling.
- Add all of the ingredients of the filling to the food processor the same way you did with the crust.
- Take the pan out of the freezer and add the layer of filling
- Take a knife and scrape across the top to make sure the top of the cake has a flat surface
- Put the pan back in the freezer. When you are ready to serve, take the cake out of the springform pan while it is still very frozen, and then let it thaw a bit once you take it out of the pan.
What's your favorite birthday cake flavor? Are you brave enough out to try out a raw+vegan version? Share with us on Twitter!