What a crazy time we’re in! So many moms and dads out there are adjusting to a new normal of having their kiddos home with them 24/7 and things can get tense if you’re not used to it. Both my partner, Adi and I work out of the home so we’re figuring out the balance of running businesses, being parents and now home school teachers? Whew!
I have a crazy awesome support system and a live-in nanny helping us out at the home but I’ve also pulled together some resources and tips that are working for us right now. I hope this helps all the other parents out there trying to keep a house under control and diffuse the tension.
We will get through this! I challenge you to change your perspective on this *extra* time at home with your kids as a fun stay-cation! Try new games, experiment with new family-fun recipes like Green Dream Waffles (we have a TON on this site), take long neighborhood walks, play outside if you can and make dinner time fun! We’re also watching a lot more movies with the kids and that’s okay!!
Healthy Snack Time, ALWAYS!
As your kiddos are now home all day and there are no nights out for dinner, planning meals and snacks can get stressful. Anyone else finish the day with a HUGE spoonful of nut butter straight out of the jar? Yup! Make this a time to create meals with your kids and involve them in cooking. Experiment with food and STOCK UP on all the healthy, feel-good snacks.
We have shelves FULL of LesserEvil snacks to help us through these times at home. It’s the perfect healthy snack during days of homeschool and playtime and the whole family LOVES them (especially Noa, she demands it).
Use my code “SophieJaffe20” for 20% off!
Some Resources I’m Loving
- Depending on your kid’s school they may be asked to join classes via Zoom or Google Classrooms or they were sent distance learning packets (our boys received both) and it’s a good idea to set a place and time in your home for school. Create a schedule that aligns with your routine so when you’re working your kiddos are practicing quiet time, creative playtime or working on school work.
- Webinars + Audiobooks. Our kid’s love online drawing classes and listening to audiobooks is a great way to keep them entertained and engaged. Children’s author Mo Willems is offering “Lunch Doodles” and Penguin Kids is hosting online storytime!
- Print Activity Sheets! Check online for a ton of free printable worksheets including these Coronavirus activity sheets by Elise Gravel
GAMES & ACTIVITIES
- This blog post has 87 fun indoor games & activities to get your littles moving and burn energy
- The National Geographic for Kids ONLINE has games, videos and learning tools to entertain your kids for hours
- We got Kai a science kit and we’re having so much fun trying out different science experiments (all safe and family-friendly!) and using tools from things lying around the home!
- Play, exercise and movement throughout the day is super important! I have a ton of yoga flows for kids on my blog and YouTube Channel as well as family workouts!
“TRAVEL” AND EXPLORE
- Visit the Zoo and Aquarium! Virtually, that is! The Georgia Aquarium and the San Diego Zoo has webcams of their animals online for you to watch all day, throughout the day!
- Travel the world with your kids without leaving your home through Airpano and their 360° photos and videos from all over the planet
This is a gift and SACRED PAUSE to slow down and appreciate what’s most important in life: family, loved ones and staying safe. Use this time to connect with your kiddos in so many magical ways but don’t forget to care for you and YOUR needs. Take a couple of hours off for self-care with the delicious Chrysalis Bath Soak or cozy up with a book or even a reality TV show and a superfood latte. Whatever you need!!
We’re in this together! If you need support or have questions on anything, please reach out! Here for you!!
Leave a comment: