These oh-so-delicious latkes offer a superfood twist on the classic Hanukkah staple! Instead of using an egg for your potato pancakes, mix in flax seeds, which are packed with omega-3 fatty acids and have been recognized for their health benefits for over 5,000 years.
I also sub coconut flour for regular flour to add a burst of fiber and a light coconutty flavor that blends seamlessly into the savory flavors. And the grated zucchini provides a load of manganese and vitamin C, along with a beautiful pop of green!
For the Latkes:
- 1 one flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water )
- 2 small potatoes, russet or sweet, grated and peeled
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, grated and squeezed
- 1/2 small zucchini, grated and squeezed
- 1/2 tablespoon Philosophie Green Dream Superfood + Protein Blend
- 1 tablespoon ghee or cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut flour
- a squeeze of fresh lemon (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- apple sauce
- lemon zest
- Vegan Sour Cream (Blend 1 cup of soaked cashews, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup of water, and 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast in a high-speed mixer/blender for 5-6 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Add salt + pepper to taste.)
Grab a pan or skillet, add a tablespoon of ghee or cooking oil, and bring to a high heat.
Place all ingredients in a small bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon of flour. Once all of the ingredients are combined, check the consistency of your batter. It should be relatively thick, and if it's too runny, add the extra tablespoon of flour.
Drop the batter into the pan, and cook on both sides until golden brown and crispy. Top with apple sauce, sour cream, a drizzle of honey, and some lemon zest if you'd like!
Snap a pic of your latke party + share it with us on Facebook with #myphilosophie!