If you’re not familiar with our friend the persimmon, then it’s time you get acquainted! You’ve probably seen them in grocery stores or famers’ markets and we wouldn’t blame you if you mistook them for a funny looking tomato. Persimmons do look strikingly similar to tomatoes, but take a bite out of one and you are in for a surprise!
The yellow to orangey-red flesh and skin of the persimmon fruit can range from firm to tender and, while they are bitter when not fully ripe, they have a rich, sweet flavor when allowed to mature. Some people say that ripe persimmons taste a little bit like dates and there is even a variety of persimmon tree that is commonly called the Date Plum tree!
While you might think that a fruit this sweet must surely be sinful, persimmons are actually good for you! Persimmons have incredibly high fiber contents which means that they promote a healthy digestive tract and will keep you feeling full longer, both key factors in maintaining a healthy weight. The bright red-orange color of the persimmon is due to high levels of disease-fighting phytonutrients and nourishing antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and K, all of which prevent cellular damage and reduce the signs of aging. Persimmons are also a good source of betulinic acid, a compound that has been shown to have anti-tumor properties!
If you’re ready to partake in all of the delicious health benefits of the persimmon, but aren’t sure what the best ways to enjoy them are, don’t worry! While there’s no wrong way to eat a persimmon, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite ways to savor the wholesome sweetness of this delightful fall fruit!
- In a Salad – Chop a couple up and add them in to your favorite fruit salad, use them as a pop of sweetness on a green salad, or mix them with quinoa, nuts, fresh mint, and Green Dream Manuka Honey to make a light, but nutrient-packed grain salad that is delicious warm or cold.
- In a Pie – Alone or blended with other fruit purees, the tender, sweet flesh of the persimmon makes a delightfully nourishing filling for pies and other sweet treats.
- As a Yogurt Topping – The sweetness of persimmons perfectly balances the tartness of plain Greek yogurt! We like to add in a Tablespoon of Berry Bliss Superfood + Protein Powder for an extra dose of protein and immunity-boosting vitamin C!
- As a Chutney – Chutneys are incredibly versatile condiments, easy to make, and can add a boost of bold flavor to just about any dish. Make one with a unique flavor profile by combining persimmons with your favorite fruits ands spices!
- As a Salsa – Make a sweet and spicy salsa by combining chopped persimmons with chopped onions, herbs, and peppers!
- In a Smoothie – Persimmons are an excellent way to add a burst of bright flavor to green smoothies!
And last but not least…
- Raw! - There is something so simply satisfying about eating a whole persimmon just like an apple!