I grabbed a bunch of these vibrant bell peppers at the Farmer’s Market last weekend because the kids love snacking on them cut into little strips. They were so cheap that I bought about 6 of them, not realizing that we would never finish them before they would go bad. I hate to waste food (especially beautiful produce), so I had to get creative! First I thought about putting them in a stir-fry, but I knew that would only require about one of them. Then I thought--stuffed bell peppers!! I immediately present the oven and prepped four of them for a delicious and healthy family dinner!
This is a great Meatless Monday Meal because quinoa is packed with protein. In fact, it’s a complete protein! What does that mean? It means that quinoa contains all of the 9 essential amino acids that the human body can’t produce on it’s own. It’s also filled with fiber to keep you full, iron, and magnesium--making it a superfood in it’s own right! Bell peppers are loaded with Vitamin C (with the red variety containing the most--who knew?!). They also contain phytonutrients and carotenoids such as beta-carotene which will give you a heavy dose of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits. Not only are bell peppers rich in color, they are also rich in nutrients and health benefits--making them a perfect vessel for the quinoa!! The kids also love the idea of “eating their bowl,” so that makes it fun! With getting kids to eat healthy foods, you just have to make it fun! Baking bell peppers in the oven gives them a deliciously soft texture, and the quinoa just gets a little crispy on the top. For a real treat, sprinkle a little bit of cheese towards the end of cooking. It will melt to perfection and really round out the dish nicely! Lastly, I added a sprinkle of Green Dream because why not "Make Every Food a Superfood!" Just a dusting adds a punch of protein, green goodness, and nutrients!
- 4 Bell Peppers
- 4 C quinoa or rice (cooked)
- ½ C chopped onion
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Green Dream (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- Sauté garlic and onions in a splash of olive or coconut oil
- Mix into quinoa, and also add your seasonings to taste
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and take out any seeds that are inside
- Stuff the bell peppers with quinoa mix, cover with foil, bake 10 mins. Then uncover, bake for 15 more mins
- Add cheese when desired, while baking for golden brown, or immediately after pulling out from oven
- Sprinkle with Green Dream
What are some of your favorite Farmer's Market finds? Share with us on Instagram!