These muffins are probably the healthiest, nutrient dense muffins you can possibly make. Amazingly, they still taste INCREDIBLE- so you aren't sacrificing flavor or taste at all while making them healthy. They not only include over a cup of fresh spinach but the Philosophie Green Dream superfood mix which includes chia seeds, spirulina, chlorella, hemp protein, tocos, maca and mesquite. You can rest easy knowing your family is getting amazing nutrients while enjoying these puppies! :)
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pink sea salt (or any salt)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 T Green Dream superfood blend
- 1/4 cup vanilla coconut milk-based yogurt (or use plain and add 1 tsp vanilla and a little extra sugar – maybe a tbsp or 2) *If not vegan, substitute 1 egg for the yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar (I used honey but that isn't vegan- up to you!)
- 1 single serving applesauce (or 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup PACKED, triple washed baby spinach, chopped by blender or food processor into small bits
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 – 1 tsp lemon zest (depending on how lemon-y you want it)
- have about 1/4 C almond mylk (or any dairy-free mylk) ready just in case your batter is thick/dry. Add spoonful's of the mylk until it's a smooth, easy to mix consistency.
Optional ingredient: 1/4 cup chopped walnuts/pecans, plus extra for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
- Add dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Whisk to beat yogurt and sugar together till light (I did this by hand for just a couple minutes).
- Process or blend the spinach until fine.
- Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients (I added all the wet ingredients into the blender so they were all blended well).
- Pour dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture, add 1/4 cup walnuts/pecans if desired, and stir gently just to combine – do not over-mix.
- Pour muffin batter into muffin tin cups – about 3/4 full each. If using nuts, sprinkle them on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes until centers set or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool at least 10-15 minutes before serving.