a chat with Krista Cahill
I met Krista 5 years ago while in school at UCLA. I found her teaching challenging, familiar and full of love. She inspired me and made me come back for more, time and again. Since then I've become a teacher myself and continue to practice with her in Santa Monica. Learn more about her in this fun interview we had! She's featured on the cover of OM Magazine this month-check her out!
"I look forward each day to the possibility that my practice both on and off the mat can promote a greater awareness in our immediate need for global peace and unification. ALL is ONE."- Krista
- Where are you from? San Diego
- When did you start practicing yoga? I was a dancer and my teacher recommended I start yoga to bring balance and get grounded. I began in Tim Miller's teeny tiny 1 room Ashtanga studio, went every day for 3 months straight and was addicted right off the bat!
- What did you want to “be” when you grew up? Jockey or ballet dancer. I've always been physical, since I was little.
- Where and when did you meet your husband? I met Brock in Venice, CA in Annie Carpenter's yoga class... practicing together in a teacher intensive, and that was it. <3
- How did the awesome Hardtail connection happen? My good friend Courtney’s parents own Hardtail and we take pictures together for the ads, it's an amazing opportunity. (we love your pictures!)
- What is your overall intention when you walk into a yoga room to teach? Inspire the people in the room to do yoga the next day to give them enough passion to want to show up tomorrow. (she definitely accomplishes this!!)
- What keeps you balanced? My yoga practice keeps me balanced, my husband, every day reminding myself how lucky I am to be a yoga teacher and that I realized my path so early.
- What throws you off center? Hectic travel schedule, human characteristics...that we are fallible and attracted to things that are imbalanced.
- Who inspires you? My husband inspires me. My students inspire me and teach me so much. Other yoga teachers who contain the professional fortitude and discipline to do what they do everyday.
- What inspires you? Music. all music. Every kind. Where we live... the weather!! :)
- What advice do you have for a beginner yoga student? The first day is the hardest. The more you practice the easier and more inspiring it gets.
- What advice do you have for someone who’s practiced for years? Never stop seeking to learn, there's a depth in the practice that you can’t see
- what is it about handstands that you love? It’s fun!! Having fun makes people want to do yoga and trying knew things makes people want to do yoga! For me, it gives me always something to come to class for because there’s always something to develop to show my students.
- What do you think about energy? It's the reason we do yoga. It feels good to have energy moving and it feels bad when it is stagnant.
- Do you eat raw food? salad.
- What’s your favorite food (doesn’t have to be healthy or raw!) chips and salsa definitely number one on my list!
- You’ve mentioned you’ve done a cleanse before. What do you think about cleanses? Great!! Not only does it clean out and inspire your body, but your mind too. Everything you procrastinate with in day to day life comes forward and you accomplish all your goals... it's definitely not just physical.
- Do you have a favorite quote? "Those who say 'It Can't be Done' should get out of the way who are doing it!"
Krista teaches workshops and retreats around the world and has regular classes based in Los Angeles (yogisanonymous). Krista teaches a vigorous Vinyasa Flow class filled with challenging arm balances and inversions. She believes that our obstacles are our greatest blessings. Krista and her husband Brock Cahill live their Yoga together in Venice Beach, California. Email Krista at: email@example.com